Dev-Jam is the annual OpenNMS developers conference. Last year it was held in cosmopolitan Pittsboro, NC. This year it will be held in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus.
It starts Sunday, 23 July and will end on Friday, 28 July. Please reserve your seat by July 12.
Dev-Jam registration is now closed.
We are staying at Mark G. Yudof Hall on campus. The building is just off of the Mississippi River and has nice views of the river. We will have access to a kitchen, conference room, computer lab, beach volleyball court, basketball court, miles and miles of trails, and easy access to downtown Minneapolis.
If you wish to attend, the cost for the week will be US$400. This will include a private room (with a shared bathroom with one other room), Internet connectivity and all meals. The OpenNMS Group will be covering a lot of the expenses, although we are also looking for other sponsors.
To register, please send an e-mail to email@example.com. Please include your affiliation with OpenNMS (user, developer, customer, or other), where you are coming from, and when you plan on arriving. Hope to see you there.
Address of location -
220 Delaware St. SE Minneapolis, MN 55455 612.625.8786
Conference Program and Agenda
Dev-Jam is going to be a Java coding festival with many particpants from the community, some of the names you will recognize from IRC and the mail lists. Training will also be provided by Interface21, the developers of the Spring Framework.
A Little Housekeeping
The address for the location is: 220 Delaware St. SE Minneapolis, MN 55455 The emergency number for the building is: +1 (612) 625-8786.
- Have Fun!
- Prepare code for OpenNMS 2.0 release scheduled for Oct 1.
Most of the objectives are now covered within the use cases. Release OpenNMS 1.3.2 with the following enhancements:
- Maven based installable distributions
- build a TAR GZIP distribution of OpenNMS and WebUI
- build platform specific packaging (RPM, DPKG, PKG, etc.)
- build noarch packages
- change from build time to install time based filtering
- DAO migration
- migrate all OpenNMS code to use Spring JDBC based DAOs
- Hibernate based persistence
- complete Hibernate DAOs
- develop database migration strategy
- change installer to be compatible with Hibernate
- delete Spring JDBC based DAOs
- Fix code and test dependencies
- fix current failing tests
- develop mock agent
- develop mock DB
- improve OpenNMSTestCase class with new mock strategy
- Distributable Poller
- change packaging of configuration code to be included with respective daemon code (i.e. poller-configuration.xsd -> opennms-poller)
- create stand-alone poller.jar
- enhance domain model to support distributed polling
- Improved WebUI
- create new WebUI application framework using: Spring MVC, Spring Web Flow, AJAX technologies, (JSF)
- create OpenNMS operational status view (i.e. an not availability view)
- migrate current WebUI non-admin pages, to new framework
- add DevJam 2005 functionality to new WebUI
- Merge Italian Adventures
- merge topology discovery code
- merge mapping code to new WebUI
- merge inventory code
- Test harness that supports mocked objects
- build mock framework for peristence, domain and service layers to support autonomous development
- actually build needed mock objects (ideally before Dev-Jam)
- see other mock-related items
- Hibernate based Installer
- modify installer to support database changes created by converstion to Hibernate
- Test infrastructure that includes Clover, HTTPUnit, DBUnit, Cruise Control
- setup Cruise Control server
- enable Clover
- add HTTPUnit to test harness
- add DBUnit to test harness
- modify current tests to use new test harness
- Domain Model
- WebUI - Web Layer
- WebUI - Service Layer
Thursday, July 20
1400 - 1500 Early Arrival - Preparation (brozow, drv4doe) 1600 - ? Fun
Friday, July 21
0800 - 0900 Breakfast 0900 - 1000 Finalize DevJam project plan 1000 - 1200 Setup of DevJam network infrastructure 1200 - 1300 Lunch 1300 - ? Coding ? Fun
Saturday, July 22
0800 - 0900 Breakfast 0900 - 1200 Coding 1200 - 1300 Lunch 1300 - ? Coding ? Fun
Sunday, July 23
0800 - 0900 Breakfast 1200 - 1300 Lunch 0900 - 1200 Coding
Monday, July 24 (DevJam Officially Begins)
0800 - 0900 Breakfast (Sponsored By: ?) 0900 - 0915 Opening remarks (sortova/brozow) 0915 - 0930 Maven2 class 0930 - 0945 Sample slice overview 0945 - 1000 Break 0915 - 1000 Team organization 1000 - 1200 Code 1200 - 1300 Lunch (Sponsored By: ?) 1300 - 1900 Code 1900 - ? Evening Meal (Sponsored By: ?)
Tuesday, July 25
0800 - 0900 Breakfast (Sponsored By: ?) 0900 - 1000 Training provided by Interface21 1000 - 1015 Project planning 1015 - 1200 Code 1200 - 1300 Lunch (Sponsored By: ?) 1300 - 1900 Code 1900 - ? Evening Meal (Sponsored By: ?)
Wednesday, July 26
0800 - 0900 Breakfast (Sponsored By: ?) 0900 - 1000 Training provided by Interface21 1000 - 1015 Project planning 1015 - 1200 Code 1200 - 1300 Lunch (Sponsored By: ?) 1300 - 1630 Code 1630 - ? The Gathering. DevJam participants meet with local OpenNMS and open source zealots. (Sponsored by: ?)
Thursday, July 27
0800 - 0900 Breakfast (Sponsored By: ?) 1000 - 1015 Project planning 1015 - 1200 Code 1200 - 1300 Lunch (Sponsored By: ?) 1300 - 1900 Code 1900 - ? Evening Meal (Sponsored By: ?)
Friday, July 28
0800 - 0900 Breakfast (Sponsored By: ?) 1000 - 1015 Final Project planning 1015 - 1200 Code 1200 - 1300 Lunch (Sponsored By: ?) (Brown Bag) 1300 - ? Code / Merge to Trunk
Saturday, July 29
0600 Depature (brozow, j-bob, sortova, drv4doe)
Get Together for locals to meet the team
Location - Patio at Yudof Hall at the University of Minnesota East Bank
Time - July 26, 2006 4:30 PM until whenever
What is it?
The true power of open source comes from the community around it, not from the fact that the software doesn't cost anything. That is why the annual OpenNMS Developer's Conference, DevJam, is such a big deal. It brings people from all over the world together, face-to-face, to help bring OpenNMS to the next level. While DevJam is, sadly, one of biggest social events on our developer's calendars, we are hoping that your calendar is free enough to join us on Wednesday, 26 July, for a social gathering at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus. If you're into IT, network management and/or open source, and if you are in the area, feel free to join us for food, drink and conversation.
email mhuot opennms org put the @ and . in the right place, if you are planning on attending.